Preparing well for the surgery and taking proper care of the treated areas after the procedure play a key role in determining the success rate of eyelash hair transplant. If you are planning to undergo eyelash transplant in the near future, here are some pre- and post-op instructions that you have to follow to recover quickly and get the most out of the surgery.
Eyelash Hair Transplant Pre-Op Care:
To get the most out of your eyelash hair transplant surgery, it is important that you prepare well for the procedure. There are several Dos and Don’ts that you have to follow to make sure your surgery turns out to be a success. Here are some pre-op instructions that we ask our patients to follow:
- No Blood Thinners: Stop taking blood thinners at least two weeks before eyelash hair transplant. These include numerous pain management medicines, with Aspirin and Ibuprofen being at the top of the list. Consuming these medicines can reduce your blood clotting ability, interfering with the outcome of the surgery.
- Stop Smoking: If you are a smoker, say good bye to cigarettes for at least two weeks before and after surgery. Nicotine, an active agent in cigarettes constricts blood vessels, affecting blood supply to the scalp. This ultimately affects the survival rate of transplanted hair follicles and also interferes with healing process.
- Say No To Alcohol And Drugs: Alcohol and drugs also have a similar effect on the outcome of eyelash transplant as that of smoking. But they are more hazardous as they not only interfere with post-op blood clotting but also hamper effectiveness of anesthesia. We ask our patients to stop consumption of alcohol and drugs, at least a week before surgery.
- Protect Yourself Against Infections: We strictly ask our patients to take all preventive measures to protect themselves against infections, including seasonal flu and cold. If you notice symptoms of any infection, report them immediately to your doctor. Self-medication is strictly prohibited.
Eyelash Hair Transplant Post-op Care:
Following your doctor’s post-op instructions is as important as the role of surgeon in success of your eyelash hair transplant. Here are some post-operative instructions that we ask our patients to follow after eyelash transplant:
- Use Cold-Compressions: Immediately after the procedure your eyes and the surrounding area will be sore and tender. Use cold compressions to alleviate these symptoms. Also start using prescription medicines immediately after the surgery.
- No Blood Thinners for Two Weeks At Least: Blood thinners, which you had stopped consuming two weeks prior to the surgery, are still a big “No”. Refrain from aspirin and its derivatives for another couple of weeks. Use pain medications that have been prescribed by the surgeon only.
- Avoid Touching Your Eyes Unnecessarily: Resist your urge to touch the eyes unnecessarily. Your hands carry hundreds of germs that can induce infection in the wounds resulting from transplantation. Also avoid picking and scratching at the scab. Let the scab come off naturally while you wash your face.
- Patience is the Key: Growth from transplanted follicles is not an overnight process. Your eyelids will go worse before you will start noticing any signs of improvement. The transplanted hair will shed after 3, 4 weeks and begin to regrow after a few months. It typically takes 8 to 12 months before you will be able to see the outcome of the surgery.
Follow these pre- and post-op instructions and get the most out of your surgery.
Schedule a Free Consultation:
If you still have any queries or you are interested in an eyelash hair transplant, fill the consultation form below and earn a FREE CONSULTATION with one of our internationally recognized hair transplant surgeons.