FUE – Follicular Unit Extraction – involves extracting individual hair grafts from the hair-rich body areas and implanting those grafts in the balding regions. This treatment is one of the standard procedures for hair transplantation and is vastly regarded as a viable option to restore lost hair on the head.
Generally, the FUE hair transplant is considered an advancement over the FUT, Follicular Unit Transplantation. FUT involves cutting a strip of the scalp with abundant hair, resulting in a larger incision on the donor area. On the other hand, the graft extraction in FUE requires tiny incisions that recover quickly.
Procedure Involved in an FUE Hair Transplant
At our Hair Transplant Clinic in Dubai, we perform FUE using the procedure.
- The surgeon will first shave down the hair in the donor site and around the recipient or transplant site.
- They will then remove hair follicles from the donor site using a micro-punch tool.
- Next, the surgeon will make tiny incisions using a needle or a sharp tool in the transplant area. These incisions will serve as sockets for hair grafts.
- The next step involves inserting hair grafts into those incisions.
- The surgeon will clean the treated area and apply a bandage to promote recovery in the final step.
An FUE hair transplant is an outpatient procedure. Typically, this treatment lasts six to eight hours at our Hair Transplant Clinic. In rare cases, you may have to undergo another session the next day to achieve treatment goals. You can discuss all these possibilities during the initial consultation.
How to Prepare the FUE Hair Transplant?
Be sure to follow all pre-op steps before getting into the surgery room for an FUE hair transplant. Here are some fundamental guidelines to follow before the procedure.
- Stop smoking for at least a day and alcohol consumption three days before surgery.
- Avoid taking blood thinners or aspirin for at least two weeks before surgery.
- Stop taking any dietary supplements or vitamins for two weeks before the procedure.
- Massage your scalp for 10 to 30 minutes daily for a few weeks before the hair transplant.
- Make sure not to skip any medication your surgeon prescribes.
What to Expect After an FUE Hair Transplant?
There is no significant downtime required after the FUE hair transplant. Generally speaking, you can continue your routine activities after 2-3 days. However, the hair surgeon may ask you to avoid swimming and intense physical activities to protect newly transplanted hair follicles for a few more days.
You may notice some hair fall during the healing process, which is normal. And the initial hair growth is usually visible after a few months. Here is a quick overview of the results to expect after an FUE hair transplant:
- You will notice hair shafts and scabs falling out during the first month. This hair fall doesn’t lead to permanent hair loss since your implanted follicles will be captured by the blood vessels deeper in the scalp.
- You will not notice hair growth in the transplant area for about 8-10 weeks. This is because the implanted hair follicles go into the telogen phase during this period. Since this phase occurs after the hair shafts fall out, many patients start wondering if their hair transplant has failed. Do not get alarmed, as this lack of hair growth is only temporary.
- Your new hair will begin to grow in three to four months. At that point, the hair will be thin and curly. However, the strands will become thicker and straighter as they lengthen.
- Your hair will continue to thicken every month. The final results are usually visible after 12-15 months.
After an FUE hair transplant, the hair growth rate varies from patient to patient. In general, you will reach your final results faster if you are young and have had a hair transplant in the front area. On the other hand, the hair growth will be slower if you are old and have the hair implanted in the vertex area.
How to Take Care of the Scalp after the Hair Transplant?
You will receive aftercare instructions from the surgeon performing your FUE hair transplant. Make sure to follow those instructions to avoid any complications or treatment failure.
- Avoid taking a shower for at least three days.
- Use chemical-free, unscented shampoos for a month or so once your doctor approves scalp massaging when washing hair.
- Rest at home for at least two days to accelerate the recovery process.
- Avoid using a brush or comb on the treated areas for at least three weeks.
- Do not wear hats or other wearables that come in contact with your head until your surgeon approves.
- Avoid any physical activity that may cause sweating for at least seven days.
Are There Any Risks Or Side Effects Associated With the FUE Hair Transplant?
FUE comes with minimal risk of complications or side effects, thanks to tinier incisions made in the donor and recipient areas. These incisions are more like small dots that recover fast. But until those incisions heal, expect some swelling and redness in the treated areas.
Some infrequent side effects of an FUE hair transplant include:
- Tingling or numbness near the treated area
- Prolonged pain and swelling
- Symptoms of infections
Be sure to consult with your hair surgeon if you experience any of these issues after a hair transplant.
What are the Benefits of FUE Hair Transplantation?
At our Clinic, we use only standardized FUE methods to restore hair on balding or thinning scalps. The reason is to help you get the ideal outcome of the procedure.
An FUE hair transplant at our clinic helps you get the following benefits.
- Undetectable scarring: The tiny incisions in the donor and recipient areas do not cause a significant injury to the scalp. Therefore, the resultant scarring is also minimal. These scars are virtually invisible in most cases.
- Reduced discomfort: The level of pain after an FUE hair transplant procedure is generally way less than that of FUT. Even better, the chances of complications after the treatment are scarce.
- Quicker recovery: Since FUE is a significantly less invasive hair transplant procedure, it is usually followed by a faster recovery. Hence, you won’t need a long and intense downtime after the treatment.
Who is the Right Candidate for FUE?
The number one criterion for being a good candidate for FUE hair transplant is the sufficient amount of hair on the back of the head, even if you have lost hair on the head’s front or vertex region.
Moreover, you should be at least 25 years old to qualify for this procedure. The reason is that the balding pattern becomes more prominent at this age.
And finally, as mentioned above, your hair surgeon will analyze your scalp for this treatment. The purpose is to ensure that the chances of survival are high for newly implanted grafts. So before they give you the go-ahead to prepare for this treatment, they will first run some medical tests to ensure that you are a suitable candidate. This pre-treatment analysis will involve:
- Blood tests
- A scalp biopsy to determine the leading cause of hair loss
- Extraction of some hair strands from the donor area to examine the quality of hair shafts
- An analysis of the medical and family history to determine if your hair loss was hereditary
Cost of FUE Hair Transplant
The average cost of an FUE hair transplant in Dubai is 13,500 AED. However, the final price will depend on the number of hair grafts extracted and transplanted.
FUE Hair Transplant FAQs
Is anesthesia required before an FUE hair transplant?
Yes, you will receive topical anesthesia on the treatment area since an FUE hair transplant involves tiny incisions. However, these incisions are significantly less painful than the large incision made during FUT treatment.
How long does it take to recover from an FUE hair transplant?
It generally takes 3-7 days to recover from the follicular unit extraction procedure. Also, the tiny incisions on the treated regions won’t need any stitches, indicating an overall smooth recovery.
How long do the FUE hair transplant results last?
The results of an FUE hair transplant tend to last a lifetime, provided that you lead an active and healthy life.
It is worth explaining why you lose hair in the first place. The most common reason for hair loss is the overproduction of a specific hormone called DHT. This hormone usually causes hair loss in the front, mid-scalp, and vertex areas of the head. However, the hair follicles on the back of the head remain immune to DHT.
During an FUE hair transplant, the surgeon will extract grafts from the back of the head as those grafts have a better chance of survival. Those grafts won’t likely succumb to the DHT attacks in the future. Hence, you can expect the treated region to grow hair for the rest of your life.
What to look for in a surgeon for FUE hair transplantation?
When finding a hair surgeon, you first want to look for their affiliation with a renowned association, e.g., IAHRS or ISHRS. Since membership in such an organization is not open for anyone without a set of specific qualifications, you can rest assured you get a list of highly qualified surgeons from this resource.
At Hair Transplant Clinic in Dubai, you will get your FUE treatment done under the supervision of Dr. Cagatay Sezgin, an active member of the ISHRS, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery since 2001. With extensive experience gained through over 3000 procedures, Dr. Sezgin has become a reputable mentor and aspiration for new hair surgeons around the globe.
Can FUE hair transplants fail?
Yes, FUE hair transplants can fail, even though the chances of such an outcome are pretty rare. A failed hair transplant may refer to poor aesthetic results, persisting complications in the treated regions, and problems with the newly transplanted hair follicles. The most common reasons for these undesirable results are infection, poor post-op care, and getting treatment from unqualified practitioners.
Fortunately, an FUE hair transplant failure is easily avoidable with:
- Careful patient’s screening for candidacy
- Proper surgical planning
- Proper adherence to pre-op and post-op guidelines
Schedule a Consultation
At Hair Transplant Clinic in Dubai, we understand the necessity of high-level proficiency required during an FUE hair transplant. That is why we have the top-rated hair surgeons who enjoy international acclamation for their contribution to the hair restoration industry. Additionally, we encourage you to discuss your concerns and queries about this treatment during the initial consultation, which you can schedule right now using the form below.