Hair transplant is the good option to cure hair loss or hair thinning permanently. Mostly men are the good candidates to get a hair transplant. And women think that they will also make good candidates but usually, this is not the case.
Few women are a good candidate to get a hair transplant. Most women have diffuse hair loss instead of overall hair thinning, including the donor areas of the scalp like the back and sides of the head.
Women vs. Men Hair Loss:
· Male Pattern Baldness:
Back and sides of the head act as donor areas in men. Because hair on these areas is permanent in men which means that hair in those areas isn’t affected by the DHT hormone that shrinks hair follicles.
· Female Pattern Baldness:
Whereas women suffering from diffused hair loss have to suffer hair shedding in these regions too. And usually, hair follicles are extracted for hair transplantation surgery from these donor sites.
Hair Transplant for Women with Diffuse Hair Loss:
But women with diffuse hair loss or female pattern baldness, they lack the donor hair supply. Or are usually their donor areas are unstable. So that’s why Hair transplant for women with diffuse hair loss is not possible.
Because the donor areas are affected by follicle killing hormone DHT, in the female pattern baldness. So that means, if hair follicles are extracted from donor areas and implanted on the recipient regions then it will just fall out.
When it comes to hair loss in women then it’s a different story than the one that affects men. So that’s why the approach for women hair loss also varies.
10 Reasons for Hair Loss in Women:
- Thyroid problems
- Autoimmune process
- polycystic ovary syndrome
- Crash Diets or skipping of meals
- Certain Pills like birth control pills, depression pills, high blood pressure pills etc.
- Tight hairstyles like cornrow, tight bun, braid and ponytail or dreadlock hairstyle.
So this leads to a question that:
Do All Women with Hair Loss Actually Qualify for a Hair Transplant?
Hair transplant is a surgical procedure and a victim has to fulfill all the requirements to become a good candidate to get a hair transplant.
Which Women Are Good Candidates for Hair Transplant?
According to experts only a small percentage of women are good candidates to opt for a hair transplant surgery, like:
- Women who are suffering hair loss due to traction alopecia.
- Women who have a pattern of baldness includes hairline recession, vertex thinning and the donor sites shouldn’t be affected by Androgenetic alopecia.
- Women who experience hair loss due to scarring from accidents, chemical burns or from trauma including burn victims.
So this brings to the answer of the question. Women who are experiencing the defined pattern of hair loss qualifies to get a hair transplant.
Women who are experiencing diffused pattern all over the scalp aren’t the right candidates to get a hair transplant. Because it’s really difficult for the surgeon to determine that which areas really need to cover and from where hair follicles should be extracted.
Type of hair loss needs to be considered:
If you are suffering from hair loss then it’s important to know that which factor is contributing towards your hair loss.
- If your hair loss is caused by the health disorders than it’s advised to first overcome the health disorder and then according to the surgeon’s recommendation, get a hair transplant surgery.
- If you are experiencing hair loss due to stress, crash diets, consumption of certain medications and dandruff. And when these factors are changed or stopped, the progression of hair loss is also controlled.
- If you are a new mom, then you also don’t need to opt for a hair transplant. Because your hair loss is caused just due to the hormonal imbalance. Once your hormones are stabilized then your hair loss will automatically be stopped.
Seek Professional Advice:
It’s always a good idea to seek professional help so that you will be able to treat your hair loss in time before it’s too late.
Consultation with the Trichologist at the Hair Transplant Centre:
For that arrange an appointment with the trichologist at the hair transplant. After examining your scalp very carefully, he will tell you the severity of your hair loss and may also inform you the type of your hair loss.
And according to the type and severity of your hair loss, the trichologist will recommend you the treatment.