Hair loss is one of the most common problems faced by men and women alike. According to an estimate, nearly one-third of the world’s population suffers from this problem. Most people tend to get worried about hair loss and immediately start thinking about undergoing hair loss treatment. However, shedding about 100 hair strands every day is normal and it should not create panic. The real issue arises when hair loss becomes excessive and persistent.
There are several ways of preventing excessive hair loss apart from transplants and laser treatments. The type of solution depends on the cause of hair fall. Hair loss can be caused by a number of reasons including:
- poor diet
- mineral deficiency
- scalp infections
- thyroid issues
- androgenic alopecia
In some of these cases, such as pregnancy, hair fall will be excessive but it will stop on its own. However, in other cases, such as androgenic alopecia, it will require medical attention.
In this article, we have discussed different hair loss solutions. There are 5 major categories and under each category, we have discussed different types of solutions.
Let’s see what we have on our list.
How to Prevent Hair Loss?
Following are the 5 major ways of preventing hair loss:
- Healthy Diet
- Hair Care
- Medical Treatments
- Other Methods
Now let’s discuss each method one by one.
1. Healthy Diet
There is no doubt in saying that a person who is healthy overall will have great hair. However, keeping our diet in check is necessary to maintain a healthy-looking mane. Especially, if we face abnormal hair fall, we must examine our diet. Keeping in mind the following instructions can help prevent hair loss without any invasive hair loss treatment:
- Include raw vegetables and fresh herbs, like parsley, basil, salad greens, in your diet. They can reduce the risk of androgenic alopecia.
- A protein-rich diet has worked wonders for people suffering from excessive hair loss. So, make sure your diet is enriched with protein-containing food items. These may include meat, fish, soy, eggs, nuts, beans and peas, low-fat dairy products, chicken, and turkey.
- As good as they are for our overall health; vitamins can also be beneficial for preventing hair loss. Experts suggest that including vitamins A, B, and E in our diet is beneficial for our scalp health. They can help in keeping our scalp healthy by improving blood circulation and sebum production. So, introduce food items like sweet potatoes, sweet peppers, and spinach in the diet and see the wonders.
- Water is the solution to a number of our health-related issues. Keeping hydrated can also help in preventing hair fall. Drinking 4-8 glasses of water can have a positive impact on our hair health.
- Avoid unhealthy lifestyle choices, like smoking and drinking. This can have a positive influence on not just our scalp health but our overall health. Cigarettes can reduce the amount of blood in our body. As a result, less blood flows towards our scalp resulting in hair loss.
2. Hair Care
Just like self-care is important for our body to stay healthy, hair care is important to keep hair healthy. Some hair care tips are mentioned below:
- Regular hair wash is important to keep the scalp clean and healthy. It will get rid of any impurities, flakes, and dandruff. As a result, our hair will become stronger and there will be less breakage.
- A mild shampoo must be used to wash hair regularly. Most over-the-counter shampoos have harsher chemicals that can damage your hair. So, find a mild or organic shampoo that will cause the least damage to your hair.
- Massaging the scalp with essential oils can also repair the damaged hair and stimulate regrowth. The best oils for massage are almond, sesame, coconut, and olive oil.
- Sometimes, changing your regular hairstyle to a gentle one also helps. Tight braids and ponytails can pull hair roots leading to breakage. So, try loose buns and braids for a few days to see any improvements.
- Reduce or eliminate the use of hair straighteners and dryers. They can make the hair dry causing them to break at the edges. Moreover, they make the hair weak.
If you have exhausted all your options of natural remedies, only then move towards medicine and hair loss treatment. Only a few medicines have been approved by the FDA to treat hair fall. However, before trying any of these make sure you consult a doctor.
- Minoxidil, commonly known as Rogaine, is an over-the-counter drug that can help in preventing excessive hair loss. It works really well for female pattern baldness.
- Finasteride, commonly known as Propecia, is a prescription pill that helps reduce hair loss and stimulate regrowth. It is quite popular among men.
- Phenylephrine is a new drug that can help in stopping hair loss. It mainly helps with hair loss caused by hairstyling.
4. Medical Treatments
When everything else fails to prevent your hair loss, you can go for medical hair loss treatment. There are a number of medical; surgical and non-surgical, treatments available for hair loss. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Laser Hair Therapy
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy
- FUT Hair Transplant
- FUE Hair Transplant
- Stem Cell FUE Hair Transplant
- Scalp MicroPigmentation
- ACell Hair Therapy
Depending on each individual’s requirements, the doctor will determine suitable treatment for them.
5. Other Methods
Some general methods of preventing hair loss are mentioned below:
- If you have wet hair, avoid brushing them. This is because wet hair is weak hair and they will break the most at this time. You can use your fingers to untangle wet hair but make sure you do it gently.
- Stress is one of the most common suspects of hair loss. If you have been stressed for a while you will notice an increase in your hair loss. This situation calls for a de-stressing session. You can include meditation and yoga into your routine and they will help in reducing the stress level. As a result, you will see a significant reduction in hair loss. Moreover, your hormonal balance will also improve.
Hair Transplant in Dubai
If you have been facing excessive hair loss for a long time and nothing else is helping, consider a hair transplant. Dubai is one of the hubs of the cosmetic industry and hair transplant in Dubai is quite popular. Hair Transplant Dubai Clinic offers exceptional services and reasonable rates. If you’re interested, schedule a free consultation session with one of our experts today.