What is Follicular Unit Extraction?
Follicular Unit Extraction is the most popular technique for hair transplant practiced today. The procedure is about relocating the hair follicles from one site of the scalp to the other site.
What is Follicular Unit?
Previously, it was thought hair strands grow individually. But actually hair follicles grow in groups called follicular unit. A follicular unit contains one to four to hair follicles.
Each follicular unit besides containing hair follicles also contains the sebaceous glands, a tiny muscle, blood supply and nerves. All these are a band in a protein called collagen.
During extraction, follicles are logically harvested as follicular units in order to ensure graft survival and growth.
Difference between Follicular Unit Transplant and Follicular Unit Extraction
- In the procedure of Follicular Unit Transplant, a strip of skin is removed from the back of the scalp and dissected into grafts.
- Follicular Unit Extraction is done by removing hair follicles one by one from the back of the scalp using a punch tool.
The rest of the procedure is the same, which requires transplantation of the extracted hair follicles. Tiny holes are created at the benefactor site and the hair follicles are inserted into them.
Follicular Unit Extraction Candidate
- Require quick recovery.
- Don’t mind wearing short hair.
- Require revision of old scar.
- Want body hair to be transplanted.
- Have a small area of baldness.
- Don’t want any linear scars.
How the Result of the Donor’s Hair Depend on the Hair Transplant?
Donor area plays a key role in the results of the hair transplant.
- The donor hair should be unaffected by the DHT.
- The amount of donor’s hair available.
- The health of the donor’s hair.
- The quality of the donor’s hair which is more concerned about the type and texture of the hairs.
- Avoid smoking about two weeks prior to the treatment.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid blood thinners and Aspirin three to five weeks before the hair transplant.
- Get tests done if there is a health issue.
- Avoid sun exposure.
- Avoid scratching the scalp.
- Avoid washing the hair for the first two days.
- Avoid smoking as it can prolong healing time.
- Avoid blood thinners and aspirin for a couple of weeks.
Advantages of Follicular Unit Extraction
- No Linear Scar
This is the main reason why people choose the follicular unit extraction method over other hair transplant methods. Due to no scar, the donor area looks unaffected. Small circular scars that are formed during extraction are hidden by the surrounding hair.
- Quick Recovery
It requires quick healing as compared to other procedures due to the usage of no sutures. The patient can resume daily activities in a couple of days. Complete recovery takes about seven to ten days after hair transplant in Dubai.
- Natural Look
The results of the procedure are completely natural and hardly can be distinguished from the existing surrounding hair. FUE also provides the benefit of concealing the previous scars.
- Painless Treatment
The procedure is completely safe and painless due to administering local anesthesia into the scalp. Also as the procedure is non-invasive there is hardly a possibility of any post infections.
Cost Factors to consider for Hair Transplant
- Patient demand and expectations from the Hair Transplant.
This depends on the extent of hair loss, past issues from other surgeries, and the donor hair supply.
- Technique used for the procedure
FUE is a more precise and minimal scarring procedure as compared to FUT.
- Skills of the Surgeon
Surgeons with more experience and skills cost more than inexperienced surgeons.
- Patient Satisfaction
The goal is to achieve patient satisfaction and natural results.