Scalp massage treatment is probably the easiest, safest, and the most relaxing treatment for hair growth. It is the act of rubbing and kneading the scalp skin by applying suitable pressure to the scalp skin with the fingers of hands.
A scalp massage works by reducing the stress levels and increasing the blood circulation in the scalp. The kneading and rubbing action warms the scalp skin, which stimulates the production of chemicals named endorphins, that make you feel good. This not only promotes the overall feeling of relaxation but also supplies more blood, oxygen, and nutrients to the hair follicles in the scalp, thus strengthening the follicles and promoting healthy hair growth.
Stress and hair loss
Stress and anxiety are among the most common causes of hair loss in both men and women. High levels of stress impair the growth of hair follicles. When in stress, your body secretes hormones that send signals to the hair follicles to undergo a dormant phase. This sends more than normal hair follicles into the resting phase, the Telogen stage. When a follicle is in the resting phase it stops producing new hair. This triggers hair shedding and you are left with thinning hair.
Scalp circulation and hair loss
Another common cause of hair loss is inefficient and insufficient scalp circulation. This way the hair follicles do not receive enough oxygen and essential nutrients, necessary for ample hair growth. Your hairs need vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients for their growth, and they are supplied to the follicles through the blood. When your body lacks these nutrients or fails to transport them to the follicles, they become weak, and if not treated in time, this could trigger hair loss.
How to scalp massage helps manage stress and blood circulation
This is where a scalp massage comes into the picture. Rubbing and kneading the scalp while massaging warms the scalp skin and conditions it, thereby encouraging blood circulation. This enhanced scalp circulation ensures that every single cell of the scalp, including the hair follicles, receives extra nutrients. Massaging also stimulates the production of endorphins, which helps lower the stress levels. This ultimately maximizes the hair growth potential of the follicles.
The right way to massage your scalp:
The beauty and efficacy of a scalp massage lie in doing it the right way. If not done in a proper way, massaging can trigger hair breakage.
- Select the massage oil: Start by choosing the right massage oil for you. There is a vast variety of massage oils available in the market, but remember the natural, unprocessed ones are the best. Coconut oil is the most effective oil for healthy hair growth. Olive oil and almond oil are also good for hair health.
- Pick an essential oil suitable for your condition: The next step is to pick an essential oil that suits your condition as well as hair type. For example, if you are suffering from hair loss, go for rosemary or peppermint oil. Lavender and tea tree oil are good for dandruff and itchy scalp, while overly dry scalp can be treated with chamomile or rose oil.
- Prepare the scalp massage oil: Once you have selected the essential oil, mix it with a carrier oil to prepare the scalp massage oil. Remember you cannot massage your scalp with concentrated essential oils. You have to mix a few drops of your favorite essential oil in the carrier oil and then use it for massaging purpose. Almond oil and olive are the two best massage oil mediums. Add one to two drops of essential oil in every tablespoon of the carrier oil.
- Brush your hair: Prepare your hair for massage by brushing them thoroughly. Tilt your head upside down and brush. This will help improve blood circulation. Use a wide-toothed paddle brush with natural bristles to comb your hair, if you have long hair, start from the tips and move towards the roots.
- Massage the scalp: Take a small amount of the prepared massage oil on the tips of your fingers and start massaging from the temples. Use small circular motions and while applying gentle pressure as well to the scalp. Slowly add more oil and move your fingers upwards towards the crown area. Make sure you massage the rear of your scalp as well.
- Wrap your hair in a towel: Once you have applied massage oil to the entire scalp, continue rubbing and kneading the scalp skin for 5 to 7 minutes. Then wrap your head and hair in a warmed towel and wait for at least 10 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition as usual: For best results leave the oil on for 30 minutes to a couple of hours. If your scalp and hairs are very dry, you can leave the oil in overnight. After that, shampoo your hair, as usual, using a mild shampoo. To get rid of greasiness, apply the shampoo twice, and massage it well in the hair. Don’t forget to condition your hair. However, avoid applying the conditioner to the roots.
For best results, massage your scalp twice a week. This will help reduce stress and increase hair growth through enhanced scalp circulation.
To know more about hair growth, fill the free online consultation form below, and let our experts guide you.