Medications help us in the maintaining our health. But at the same time, some medications can cause side effects and complications such as irritation, scarring, inflammation, soreness, itching etc. Certain medications can affect your hair color or texture and also cause hair thinning, hair loss or baldness.
Medications that can Cause Hair Loss:
- Acne Pills
- Antifungal medications
- Blood thinners (anticoagulants)
- Chemotherapy medications
- Cholesterol-lowering medications
- Epilepsy medications (anticonvulsants)
- High blood pressure medications (antihypertensives)
- Hormone replacement therapy – estrogen or progesterone for women, androgens and testosterone for men
- Immuno-suppressant medications
- Mood stabilizers
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAID’s)
- Oral contraceptives
- Parkinson’s disease medications
- Thyroid medications
Medications can Trigger 02 Kinds of Hair Loss:
- Telogen effluvium
- Anagen Effluvium
1. Telogen effluvium:
- It’s a kind of medication-induced hair loss.
- Telogen effluvium mostly displays its early symptoms in between 2 to 4 months after the consumption of medication.
- This type of hair loss causes the hair follicles to go into the inactive or resting stage.
- Victims of Telogen effluvium, mostly lose 100 to 150 hair on a regular basis.
2. Anagen effluvium:
- Anagen effluvium occurs during the anagen stage or when the hair is actively re-growing.
- This kind of hair loss prevents the hair cells from making new hair and also from the normal division.
- Anagen effluvium is detectable after few days of the medication intake.
- Patients with cancer, taking chemotherapy are the most common sufferers of this kind of hair loss.
- Anagen effluvium is the most severe form of hair loss in which, a victim sheds all of his hair from the head, eyebrows, eyelashes and beard region.
Consultation with the Trichologist at the Hair Transplant Clinic:
If you are also using any above-mentioned medications then you are also prone to suffer from hair loss. Rather than self-diagnosis and self-medication by using out-dated hair loss treatments, it’s always a good idea if you consult a trichologist.
· Examination of your Scalp and Hair:
He will properly and carefully examine your scalp and hair. Then he will inform you about the underlying factor which has contributed in causing your hair loss.
· Tests to Check the Severity of Hair Loss Caused by Medications:
- Thyroid function tests, the trichologist would perform this test if you are suffering from the thyroid conditions.
- Full blood count, the trichologist would perform this test if you are suffering from the iron deficiency or anemia.
- Hair shaft exam, by performing this test the shape, size and instability of your hair can be determined.
- Pull test, in this test the trichologist, will smoothly pull out 60 of your hair at a time
- Biopsy, taking out a part of your scalp tissue just to check the severity of your hair loss
- Hormone tests
· Collect some Information:
If your hair loss has already progressed then the trichologist may first gather some information about your health like:
- Does your family have a hair loss history?
- Are you using any kind of medications?
- Which type of hair loss are you suffering from?
If your hair loss is still in its early stages and just started then the trichologist may instruct you to follow these simple, easy but effective hair tips to control your hair loss which is caused by the consumption of medications:
Simple Hacks for the Treatment of Hair Loss:
- You can use hair extensions
- You can change your hairstyle and haircut.
- You have to increase the consumption of foods which are enriched with essential nutrients.
- You have to keep your hair in a short layered style.
- Abstain from sleeping with wet hair
- Try not to use a fine comb, instead use a wide-toothed
- Don’t brush your hair vigorously.
- Try to massage your scalp with coconut, castor, olive or almond oil on a regular basis just for 10-15 minutes.
- Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water on a daily basis and also increase the consumption of liquids such as shakes, juices etc.
- Always trim your hair after 1 or 2 months.
- Wash your hair after swimming in pools that has Chlorinated water.
- Abstain from brushing wet hair
- Reduce your stress by involving yourself in sports, walking, hiking etc.
- Don’t wash your hair on a regular basis.
If your hair loss has reached to the extreme stage and can’t be controlled by the hair hacks then the trichologist may recommend you to get a PRP therapy in Dubai from Hair Transplant Dubai Clinic.
You aren’t a Right Candidate:
- have a habit of consuming drugs
- Have any sort medical problem like liver disorder, skin allergies etc.
- Habit of smoking
If you aren’t a good candidate to get PRP therapy, then the trichologist may recommend you to get an alternative hair loss therapy according to your candidacy, scalp and hair condition.
Please follow and like us: