Propecia and Rogaine are two effective medicines to stop hair loss. Both have been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat mild to severe hair loss. Propecia and Rogaine are brand names owned by Merck and Johnson & Johnson for Finasteride and Minoxidil respectively. Here is a brief introduction of both medicines.
Propecia: The generic name of Propecia is finasteride. It is considered the most effective medicine to combat male pattern baldness. It is a prescription oral pill that works by inhibiting the formation of Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a hair follicles killing hormone. It is a prescription medicine that must be used only after consulting your doctor.
Rogaine: Generic name for Rogaine is Minoxidil. It is a topical solution available over the counter. It is applied to the scalp, focusing on the affected areas only. It has varying degree of effectiveness based upon the strength of the solution you use. Doctors recommend 5% concentration for males and 2% concentration for females. Like other medicines, Rogaine also takes some time to show its effects. Apply the medicine regularly to the scalp for at least six months before forming an opinion about it.
Side Effects of Propecia and Rogaine:
Both these medicines have shown promising results in stopping hair loss and stimulating hair regrowth, but they are losing their users because of their side effects. Listed below are some common side effects and limitations of hair loss medicines that every user must know before even starting the treatment.
- Temporary results: Results of these medicines are not long lasting. Once you start taking medicine, you will have to take it for the rest of your life to maintain the results. Hair grown through medicine begins to fall off as soon as a person stops taking medicines.
- Uncertain results: Both Rogaine and Propecia have shown promising results, but there is a great degree of uncertainty when it comes to the outcome of treatment. While some patients start growing back hair within a few months, others do not show any result for a longer period of time.
- Hair growth on other parts: Another more serious side effect of these medicines, Rogaine particularly, is that they can trigger hair growth on other parts of the body as well, wherever the medicine comes in contact.
- Redness and itchy skin: Redness, itching and skin irritation at the treated area are some commonly reported side effects of Minoxidil application. Other more serious side effects include swelling of hands and feet, heart palpitations, difficulty in breathing and tightness in chest.
- Birth defects in women: Finasteride is strictly prohibited for women as it can cause birth defects in them. Men who use Propecia regularly are at a risk of developing prostate cancer, enlarged breasts and loss of interest in sex. Other common side effects of finasteride include anxiety, depression, chills, dizziness and headache.
Hair Transplant Surgery for Safer Hair Regrowth:
If you are seeking a safe and effective way to regrow hair in the bald or balding areas of your scalp, look no further than hair transplant surgery. Surgical hair restoration is not only a safer procedure but it also gives you permanent hair that does not fall out even after being moved to baldness prone areas.
Schedule FREE CONSULTATION:
Hair Transplant Dubai Clinic offers surgical hair restoration in UAE at highly competitive rates. We have a team of highly skilled surgeons with several years of experience. We are offering FREE CONSULTATIONS for our esteemed clients. To book an appointment now, fill the form below.