Hair transplant surgery is considered as an ideal treatment for hair regrowth in individuals who have permanently lost their hair. Introduced in the mid of 20th century, Hair Transplantation gained popularity slowly and steadily and today it is the most demanded and the most performed hair loss treatment. Today, we see its beneficiaries around the world. Most of the individuals are so happy with the results that they go for further sessions to treat progressive hair loss after the surgery.
How the surgery is performed?
Hair transplant or surgical hair restoration is nothing but redistribution of your existing hair. Like other parts of the body, your hairs are also affected by aging and you start shedding them over time. But luckily, every balding person has certain areas of the head that are resistant to baldness, like the back and the sides of the head. Even in men suffering from severe hair loss lose hairs from our hairline and crown area only, and retain plenty of hair on the back and sides of their head.
During a hair transplant surgery, the surgeon extracts hair follicles from these balding resistant areas using either of the Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) method and transplants them into the baldness affected areas. Fortunately, these hair follicles keep their balding resistant characteristics even after their change of origin and do not fall out quickly.
It is a simple yet lengthy procedure that generally takes 6 to 8 hours for its completion. The surgery is performed under local anesthesia without sedation. However, if you are pain sensitive or the idea of lying awake on the bed doing nothing does not appeal you, you can always ask your surgeon to perform the surgery with sedation.
What about hair transplant recovery and results?
Hair restoration is performed on outpatient basis and the patient is free to go home right after the procedure. Recovery time is short; however, you need to be patient to see your hair transplant results. You can resume most of the daily activities within 3 to 7 days after the surgery, depending on the hair transplant method used. FUE transplant involves less downtime and recovery time as compared to the traditional Strip method transplant (FUT). However, strenuous activities like exercise must not be resumed for two to three weeks. Transplanted hairs will remain in an inactive state for the first 2-3 months before they will start growing again. It will take 6 to 8 months before you will start noticing any growth. However, full results may be seen after 12 to 18 months.
Pros of hair transplant
Hair restoration is an amazing treatment for hair re-growth. It helps regrow hair on bald or balding patches and returns your lost appearance. Some benefits which give hair restoration a competitive edge over other hair loss treatments are listed below:
- The biggest benefit of hair transplant is that it gives permanent hair. Yes, hairs that you grow from transplanted hair follicles are permanent and you never lose them.
- It is a minimally invasive surgery which does not cause major discomfort to the patient.
- Transplanted hair follicles take a short duration to develop blood supply and after that they start growing like existing hairs.
- Once grown to sufficient length you can style, comb and trim your new hair just like the rest of your hair.
- There is no extra care or maintenance needed for transplanted hair nor do you need any expensive products to maintain them. They stay quite healthy and fine with your normal hair care routine.
- Scalp hairs are not the only hairs that you can restore with surgery. In fact, you can also regrow your eyebrow, eyelash, beard or moustache with hair transplant.
Cons of hair transplant
A carefully done hair transplant does not have any side effects except those few factors which are always associated with surgical procedures. These side effects are
- Mild swelling in treated area
- Optimal bleeding
- Pain or discomfort during and after surgery
- Downtime of a few days
Dubai, the hub of tourism, is a popular destination for hair transplant seekers as well. Some of the world’s renowned hair transplant surgeons practice here. Hair Transplant Dubai Clinic is among the top hair restoration facilities in the city. We use state of the art equipment and finest hair transplant techniques because we are committed to providing nothing less than best to our esteemed clients.
We also offer free online consultations. If you are interested, contact us now by filling the form below and let our experts guide you.