Hair pulling or trichotillomania is a complex disorder and nobody knows that why the victim of trichotillomania pulls out his/ her hair.
There are several risk factors which have been connected to this disturbing disorder, which includes:
- Family history
- Feature of hair
1. Family history:
It’s a very common factor in causing hair pulling disorder. Chances are relatively low as only 1 in 25 people have this hair pulling disorder and get an urge to pull out their hair, but still, you may get affected.
Hair pulling problem or trichotillomania commonly starts after puberty. Usually, it’s considered as normal when children at the age of 5-6 use to pull out their hair. But it shouldn’t be taken as lightly, in fact, it’s a case of the temper tantrum or another behavior related problem.
Mostly the children or the teenagers less than the age of 16, have stress problems due to the home environment and school life.
Following are the different kinds of stressors due to a victim of trichotillomania starts to pull out his/her hair, which includes:
- Changing school
- Death of a parent
- Hormonal imbalance
After several studies, it has been finally found that women are more prone to be the victims of hair pulling disorder.
It’s not the thing, that men are totally safe from having this disorder. But in reality, men use to hide this problem and feel embarrassed to seek a specialist help. Overall, both genders are equally affected by the trichotillomania.
4. A feature of hair:
Some victims of hair pulling disorder use to pull out their hair because of the body image distortion. They simply don’t like their hair and want to pull all of their hair from their scalp. Some sufferers of trichotillomania don’t like the color or texture of their hair.
Majority of the sufferers of hair pulling disorder have emotional problems. Like stress, anxiety, fatigue, loneliness or tension and they start pulling out their hair from all hair-bearing areas of the body like eyelashes, eyebrows, beard and scalp hair.
Symptoms of Trichotillomania or Hair Pulling Disorder:
Following are the symptoms of hair pulling disorder:
- A strong sense of tension before pulling out hair or when trying to resist the urge to pull hair.
- A feeling of relief, satisfaction, and pleasure after acting on the impulse of pulling hair.
- Bare patches are present where the hair has been pulled out.
- Other associated behaviors including:
- Inspecting hair root
- Twirling hair
- Pulling hair between the teeth
- Eating hair, it’s called trichophagia.
Rush to Trichologist for Proper Guidance:
If you are observing above mentioned early signs of trichotillomania or hair pulling disorder then it’s very important to consult a trichologist at the hair transplant clinic, immediately without wasting more time.
The trichologist will thoroughly examine your scalp and then he may recommend you to get a hair loss treatment in Dubai from Hair Transplant Dubai Clinic.
Because if you don’t get your hair pulling disorder treated in time then you may have to suffer from the following possible complications:
Possible Difficulties can cause due to Trichotillomania or Hair Pulling Disorder:
- Skin damage
- Long-lasting hair loss
- Hair loss and skin damage can also lead to shattered self-esteem and low confidence level. And it can also have a negative impact on work and relationships.
- And in severe cases, some victims of hair pulling disorder may stop void going out especially in the social gatherings just to hide their resultant hair loss due to their hair pulling problem.
- Some sufferers of trichotillomania start eating their own hair and eventually, they have to suffer from the trichophagia (eating hair) and due to it, there’s a risk of forming trichobezoars, or balls of hair in their stomach or in their small intestines.
- Eating hair disorder can then lead to causing:
- And other stomach problems.