Male Pattern Baldness is caused by genetics disposition and hormones. There are three stages of hair cycle called
- Anagen which is the growing stage and lasts about three to five years.
- Catagen which is the intermediate stage and lasts about one to two weeks.
- Telogen which is the resting phase and lasts about three to four months.
The trichologist in Dubai tells that about 85% of the hair are in a growing phase while 15% are not. Baldness in men comes when the hair follicle shrinks; hair sits in a skin called a follicle. When the follicle shrinks, it causes the hair to become fine and short. Normally hair does grow back in a follicle but in men who are balding the follicle fails to grow new hair. Why this occurs? It is more related to the genes and the hormones.
Symptoms of Male Pattern Baldness by a Trichologist
It begins with thinning hairline which proceeds to form an M shape. As the follicle shrinks, it causes the hair to become shorter and thinner. Eventually, the hairs on the crown area also start to thin and form a horseshoe pattern.
Patches of bald areas, breaking of hair shafts or hair loss associated with redness and pain could be caused by other conditions.
Male pattern hair loss is diagnosed by the appearance and pattern of hair loss. A skin biopsy is done to check the real cause of the hair loss before its treatment. A skin biopsy cannot detect the nutritional deficiencies but may reveal substances such as arsenic and lead. Blood tests are therefore done to detect the nutritional deficiencies.
The least expensive approach is using hair pieces or wigs to disguise the hair loss, but they are not permanent and sometimes uncomfortable.
The two main popular FDA proved drugs to treat male pattern baldness are:
- Minoxidil also known as Rogaine is used in the foam form to apply on the scalp to stimulate the hair follicles. It helps to slow down hair loss, and in some men, it may also lead to the growth of new hair. However, the hair loss comes back when you stop applying it.
- Finasteride is a prescription pill which inhibits the production of a male hormone known as DHT, It also promotes hair growth and slows down hair loss. But the hair loss returns when the intake of it is stopped.
It is a permanent treatment to treat male pattern hair loss. It is a surgical procedure where the healthy hair from the donor area are harvested and transplanted to the benefactor region. There are two most common and practiced hair transplant procedures. These are the same except the extraction process; FUT takes off a linear strip of skin with healthy hair follicles from the back of the scalp whereas in FUE procedure the hair follicles are directly extracted from the scalp. This procedure is tough and tiring but results in less scarring than FUT.
But only a doctor can tell which procedure of hair transplant is suitable for your hair loss condition. However, results are permanent and natural looking results.
Suturing hair pieces to the scalp is not recommended as it causes infections and scars. The use of artificial fibers was banned by the FDA due to the high rate of infection.
Book Your Free Consultation
We offer a free consultation at the Hair Transplant Dubai to the hair loss sufferers. Our surgeons perform the scalp examination and guide you on the treatments that can be beneficial for your fight with the hair loss. Start your hair loss recovery journey with us by getting a free consultation.