As the name Traction alopecia suggest, that it’s the type of hair loss. Alopecia literally has a meaning of devastating and uncontrollable hair loss. But the good news is that traction alopecia is reversible and can be controlled.
Traction alopecia can be triggered due to stress/tension or pulling of hair, due to which your hair roots are damaged, leading to scarring and also to permanent hair loss.
Causes of Traction Alopecia:
- Extremely tight ponytails
- Tight braids
- Weaved hair
- Certain hair clips that help to hold your hair tightly and are worn in the same position every day
- Daily wearing of Headbands
- Tight wigs attached with glue, clips or tape
- Wearing cycling or motorbike helmets for a longer time period.
- Frequent use of hair rollers
- Frequently pulling out your hair with the hands (it’s an emotional disorder which is called as trichotillomania)
If any of the above condition fits you then most likely you are suffering from the traction alopecia.
Symptoms of Traction Alopecia:
- Have you ever undo a ponytail and found out that your scalp is very much sensitive when you touch it?
- Do you ever have a sense of relief when you untie your hair?
- Do you feel itching on your scalp skin after making braids?
- Have you ever used painkillers because your hair is tightly pinned up and caused a headache for you?
These are the early signs that lead to traction alopecia. The constant tension either completely pulls out your hair’s roots or causes the hair follicles to get irritated or inflamed.
Ultimately, you have to suffer from the hair thinning or hair loss. And eventually, a noticeable bald patch appears on your scalp.
Traction Alopecia, How to Prevent and Fix It:
Visit the Hair Specialist:
If you didn’t put a stop to the cause of your traction alopecia then it will reach to the point where it can become a permanent condition.
If you are thinking to try some home remedies then abstain from doing so as you don’t know the root cause of your hair loss, it can be due to various reasons. So self-diagnosis and self-medication can endanger your health by causing serious side effects such as scaring, infections, irritation, soreness, inflammation etc.
Trichologist at the Hair Transplant Centre:
Arrange a consultation with the trichologist at the hair transplant centre, as soon as you spot excessive hair shedding or hair falling out in clumps.
· Examination of your Hair:
He will examine your hair and scalp thoroughly. Then the trichologist will diagnose and tell you the factor that has contributed in causing your hair loss.
· Initial Stage of your Traction Alopecia:
If the traction alopecia is still in its early stages and you spotted it early enough, then the trichologist may recommend you some hair care routine to reverse your traction alopecia, such as:
Hair Care Routine to Combat Traction Alopecia:
- Don’t make tight hair up-dos so that you don’t feel as if the hairstyle is squeezing your head.
- Change the position of clips on your hair.
- Always try to braid your hair loosely.
- Change the location of your ponytail like if you use to make high ponytail, instead try out low and side ponytails too.
- Always use fabric covered headbands.
- Use silk pillowcases.
- Don’t part your hair on one side, instead change the location of your part line as often as you can.
- Avoid re-twisting your hair roots.
- Always remember to remove your hair extensions and weaves after 6 to 8 weeks.
- If you use hair setting products such as hair gel, spray, cream or wax then wash your hair before going to bed.
· Severe Stages of Traction Alopecia:
If your traction alopecia has reaches severe stage and your hair follicles have been traumatized for a prolonged time then it become very hard to treat in its advance stages. So the trichologist may recommend you to get a proper alopecia treatment in Dubai from the hair transplant centre.