Hair transplant has seen considerable improvement over the last few decades. From scalp flap surgeries to hair plugs and from plugs to follicular units, a hair transplant is now a minimally invasive hair restoration technique that produces excellent results ever.
For many, Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) may be a new procedure, but it is not that new. It has been around since the early 2000 and passed the test of time. However, it is still regarded as latest hair transplant method. The first question that comes to mind when someone thinks of FUE procedure is that what differentiates it from the traditional Strip Method Transplant.
What is the difference between FUE and strip removal method?
To understand the difference between FUE and strip removal method, you must have a basic understanding of the hair transplant procedure. A hair transplant procedure is divided into two phases: the extraction phase and the plantation phase. In the extraction phase, the surgeon extracts or harvests the donor hair. The area, from where the hairs are extracted is called donor area. When the extraction phase completes, the plantation phase starts. In plantation phase, tiny incisions are made in the balding area, also known as the recipient area. Harvested hairs are then carefully placed in these incisions, and the transplant completes.
Now comes the basic question, the difference between FUE and FUT. As far as the plantation phase is concerned, there is no difference between FUE and strip removal. It does not make a difference whether the hairs were extracted through FUE or strip removal.
However, it is the extraction phase where the difference lies. In the strip removal method, a linear strip of hair-bearing skin is removed from the donor area. This strip contains thousands of hair follicles which are used for plantation. The strip is carefully excised under a powerful microscope to separate hair follicles for plantation.
On the other hand, FUE does not remove a strip from the scalp. It extracts individual hair follicles one by one. It uses a small tool to pluck each hair along with its root. When the required number of hairs has been extracted, the doctor proceeds to the plantation phase.
What are the benefits of FUE hair transplant procedure?
FUE hair transplant method offers some advantages over the strip removal method. Here is a list of the most important advantages of FUE hair transplant in Dubai.
- Minimally invasive: The introduction of FUE method has made a hair transplant procedure minimally invasive. Many people are not comfortable with the removal of a strip from their head. The idea of tiny punches is certainly more comforting.
- Less Scarring: Although FUE produces many tiny scars, people prefer these tiny scars to the linear scar produced by strip removal method. Tiny scars produced by FUE are hardly visible. Furthermore, they are easy to conceal under surrounding hairs.
- Large number of donor hair: Strip removal method is suitable for extraction of head hair only. However, FUE has the ability to harvest donor hair from any body part. This is very useful for people with limited donor hair on their scalp. They can extract body hair and plant them to the required area.
- Less downtime: Downtime is a major concern for hair transplant seekers. It is hard for people to afford many days off from work. FUE offers considerably less downtime. In fact, you can resume your office the very next day. Hair loss concealers may help in certain cases.
Are there any disadvantages of FUE procedure?
- It is time taking: The major disadvantage of this procedure arises from the fact that it is a slow procedure and requires a manual effort of the surgeon to extract each follicle individually.
- More skills required: It also requires more skills as compared to strip removal for extraction of donor’s hair. However, over the past few years, many surgeons have mastered this skill.
- It is expensive: Since it requires more time and effort of your surgeon, and only a highly skilled surgeon can perform this procedure, it is expensive than the traditional FUT hair transplant.
If you are looking for excellent results in a minimally invasive way, FUE is certainly the right procedure for you. Just make sure that your chosen surgeon is an expert in performing FUE hair transplants.
To know more about FUE procedure, make a free online consultation now and let our experts explain you in a more non-technical way.