Eyelashes protect the eye from damage, dirt and coarseness. Eyelashes frame the eyes, and together with eyebrows, hairline, cheek bones, nose, lips make the facial appearance that is exceptional to each person. A person without eyelashes has strange appearance since they need one of the essential anatomical points of interest of facial look.
Loss of eyelashes can be caused by various reasons
- Facial harm and scarring because of car crashes, industrial accidents, burns, eyelid tattoos, and alopecia connected with the usage of false eyelashes.
- Surgical treatment; harm or tumor that outcomes in evacuation or eyelash follicles and tissue scarring.
- Medical treatment.
- Radiotherapy or chemotherapy for tumor that outcomes in hair loss.
- Trichotillomania; hair pulling of scalp hair, eyebrows and eyelashes.
- Absence of hair on all parts of the body.
Brief History of Eyelash Transplantation
90 years prior, Dr. Franz Krusius, a German doctor, published his procedure for recreation of lost eyelashes by reaping scalp hair with a little punch and transplanting benefactor hair into the eyelid with a needle that he designed. In 1917, German doctor Dr. P. Knapp, embedded into the eyelid a composite free graft strip from the eyebrow. Papers published from the 1930s through the 1950s, numerous from Japan, kept on propelling strategies of eyelash reproduction.
In 1980, Emmanuel Marritt MD, an individual from the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, distributed his method for transplantation of single contributor hairs from the scalp into the eyelid for eyelash reproduction. Around the same time of 1980, Robert Flowers MD, reported a “cull and sew” procedure of eyelash reproduction that is being used today form by doctor hair reclamation experts.
Who Is a Good Candidate for eyelash hair transplant?
- Reconstructive-eyelash transplantation for injury or illness.
- Esthetic – eyelash hair transplant to accomplish a stylish upgrade of existing eyelashes, however, the hair shaft breadth and twist of the giver hair can make the result sometimes unattractive.
Physical Examination and Medical History
Each individual being considered for eyelash transplantation must have an entire physical examination and lab tests if showed and should give a point by point restorative history.
Persistent/Physician Consultation and Agreement
- The patient and doctor must concur with respect to the procedure.
- The patient’s full comprehension of the technique, including conceivable confusions and postoperative recuperation.
- The foreseen result including the understanding that eyelash transplantation can accomplish huge change, however, can’t accomplish totally “normal” results connected with regular eyelashes (it is fundamental for the patient to utilize an eyelash styler and to trim eyelashes for whatever remains of their life).
- The patient may likewise approach the doctor for accreditations exhibiting sufficient training in eyelash transplantation and preparing in hair reclamation surgery. The doctor ought to comprehend eyelash texture and feel, and have proper training and involvement in techniques for contributor hair reap and eyelash arrangement.
Preoperative Preparation of eyelash hair transplant
Each surgical strategy requires preoperative arrangement.
- Anticoagulant medications, for example, ibuprofen and warfarin
- stop the intake of vitamin E supplements
- no liquor
- use an antiseptic cleanser for face
- Take anti-infection agents if endorsed by the doctor.
Eyelash hair transplant Procedure
Contributor hair transplanted to the eyelid must match the nature of eyelashes however much as could reasonably be expected. The transplanted hair will keep on growing in the eyelid; as it develops, the patient should take after the transplanted hair and trim them accordingly.
Donor areas usually include the areas of the back of the neck or the scalp above or behind the ears. In few cases, hair is also utilized from the eyebrows and legs for the transplantation procedure.
- Eyelash hair transplant is performed under anesthesia. Gentle sedation helps the patient relax.
- The surgical needle punctures the eyelid at the edge and a hair graft is put into it.
- Grafts are appropriately divided (An ordinary upper eyelid contains around 100 lashes, the lower eyelid around 60 lashes).
- A session is performed in one to three hours. An alluring outcome might be accomplished in one-three sessions. The number of sessions is reliant on patient desired eyelash and the surgical strategy.
Postoperative Recovery and Care
- Pruritus (direct to exceptional tingling) of the eyelids as often as possible happens promptly after surgery and may remain for at least one days.
- Persistent tingling past one day may show a postoperative complication that requires the doctor’s consideration. (Tingling should not be confused with uneasiness; uneasiness past one day is typical).
- Scratching of the eyelids will effectively remove transplanted hairs, tingling ought to be soothed by ophthalmic ointment, mellow analgesics, for example, acetaminophen (Tylenol), and ice packs.
- Wear goggles while resting to prevent unintentional eyelid scratching. A few doctors prescribe keeping the eyes bandaged for the initial 24 postoperative hours.
- 7 to 14 days is required for finish postoperative recuperation.
- Coat the new eyelashes with lash oil, utilize an eyelash styler to energize appropriate twist and trim frequently.
Potential Complications of eyelash hair transplant
- Eyelid contamination; fast acknowledgment and treatment are fundamental to prevent the infection from spreading.
- Bruising and swelling.
- Graft uprooting brought on when the patient scratches eyelids, bringing about fizzled development.
- Ingrown hairs.
- Eversion and descending pull of the lower eyelid, bringing on the eyelid to fall far from the eye.
- Turning in of the upper or lower eyelid edge.
- Poor position or low quality of eyelash grafts because of the utilization of coarse hair as grafts, or arrangement of grafts that doesn’t fulfill the desired result.