Hair loss as we know, brings with it emotional and psychological tribulations in our lives, especially if we are the ones going through it. If you are suffering from permanent loss of hair, the only thing that can correct that is a hair transplant procedure. But if your hair loss is not permanent, there are ways that you can slow it down or even reverse it.
But before you start reversing hair loss, you have to know the reason why your hair is falling off of your scalp. There are many reasons, other than hormones, that cause your hair to break or fall off. One of the major reasons is a poor diet that lacks the necessary nutrition that your body needs to keep your hair on the right path.
So what nutritional supplements do we need to curb or slow down hair loss?
- Omega 3 fatty acids: A research published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology about hair loss and omega 3 fatty acid supplements shows that by ingesting fish oil, which is rich in omega 3s, the health of the blood vessels is drastically improved as well as the cell growth and anti-inflammatory activities in and around the hair follicles, leading to increased hair density and overall reduction in hair loss.
- Biotin: By consuming biotin, which is a natural component found in carrots, lettuce, tomatoes and egg yolks among other foods, you will be promoting hair growth. Although it comes in forms of supplements as well, by consuming the foods rich in this vitamin, you can get your hair to grow without having to dig into your pockets for more of it through capsules.
- Selenium: This is a mineral usually found in plant soil. Research has shown that selenium deficiency can lead to hair loss, hence the reason why if taken in the right amounts, can slow down hair loss itself. The body needs selenium only in small amounts and if you cannot avail the selenium supplement in the form of tablets, you can always consume it through foods such as grains, meat or veggies grown in soils rich in the mineral.
- Iron: We all know how iron is important for our optimal health. Lack of iron in our bodies can easily lead to an array of health problems including hair loss. By helping the oxygen-transport process within the body, it helps in cell growth which is essential for hair growth among other things. So if your food is lacking in iron, or you are anemic, your hair might start falling. To reverse this, you can take iron supplements or eat foods that rich in iron, like red meats, beans, spinach etc.
- Zinc: This is another mineral that is responsible for growth of the human tissue, which means it supports normal growth and development during pregnancy, childhood and adolescence. Although found in oysters in large amounts, other than having it in tablet form, you can eat other foods rich in the mineral including nuts, legumes, lobster, poultry, crab, and whole grains.
Although there have been a number of researches performed to show the importance of these food supplements to having healthy hair growth, if you are suffering from hair loss, you should always see your doctor first before embarking on any supplement consumption. On the other hand, instead of the supplements, you should eat a balanced diet, rich in minerals and antioxidants for a healthier you; not only for the hair, but for your entire body.
For more information on hair restoration for permanent hair loss, kindly give us a call for a FREE consultation on hair transplant.